Car Rollovers – What You Should Know
April 10th, 2018
Rollover crashes are extremely dangerous and can cause a lot of harm to the people involved. According to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) rollovers are responsible for more than 10,000 fatalities every year and cause about one-third of all traffic fatalities in the United States. The NHTSA also reported that wearing your seat belt during a rollover accident can increase your chances of survival up to 75%.
There are many factors that play a role in rollover crashes. However, NHTSA narrows these factors into a shortened list and the top causes of rollover crashes.
- Vehicle Type. All vehicles are at risk for rollovers in certain situations however, taller and narrower vehicles such as SUV’s and pickup trucks have a higher center of gravity and are more susceptible to rollovers.
- Speed. The NHTSA reported that 40% of fatal rollover crashes involved excessive speeding and nearly 75% of fatal rollovers occurred when the speed limit was 55 mph or higher.
- Bad Tires. Inflated tires and worn tires decrease a driver’s ability to control their vehicle and therefore lead to rollover crashes.
- Location. Since rural roads tend to be undivided, without barriers, they are more likely to result in rollovers. Nearly 75% of fatal rollovers occur in rural areas.
- Routine Driving. Approximately 90% of single-vehicle rollover crashes occurred when the driver was engaged in routine driving. Therefore, distraction inattention, and speeding plays a significant role in crashes.
Therefore, as a driver it is important to pay attention to your surroundings. Make sure you are going the posted speed limit around curvy turns and check your tires to make sure they are not worn down. Additionally, as a driver you should always be focused on the road and not paying attention to distracting passengers or technology inside your vehicle. This could lead to a serious rollover accident that could potentially be fatal.
Contact Us Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in a rollover accident do not hesitate to call the Bottaro Law Firm for the legal counsel you deserve. Our experienced legal team is ready to fight for your rights. Call us at 401-777-7777 or fill out our free and confidential online form.