Back to School? 5 Safety Tips
August 25th, 2013
Mike Botarro’s daughter starts kindergarten this week and on Tuesday, August 27, 2013, Mike visits CBS’s “The Rhode Show” to discuss back to school safety. Below are 5 back to school safety topics to review with your child:
1. Practice The School Routine Ahead of Time
– Talk to your child about the safety tips below before school starts
– Practice your child’s morning and afternoon school routine
2. Walk/Bike Safely
– Make sure your child knows 911, and your contact info as well as not talking to strangers
– Drivers must stop for buses and allow children to safely cross the road; take special care in looking for small children on foot or bicycle before making a left or right hand turn.
3. Safely Board and Exit the School Bus
– Arrive at the bus stop early and stand safely away from the street
– Before boarding the bus: wait for the bus to come to complete stop
– When boarding and exiting the bus: Take 5 giant steps in front of the bus door before turning
– Avoid the “danger zones” located at the front and side of the bus – cross front of bus more than 10 feet away
– For more tips, check out the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration site
4. Safely Ride In The Car
– Properly install child seats – local police stations can help for free
– Keep children under 12 in the back seat – children in the front seat are 40% more likely to be injured in a car accident
5. Review The Back to School Safety Checklist
– The National Safety Council has compiled a Back to School Safety Checklist for parents to review with their children.
Our hope is for everyone to have a safe and successful school year. If you experience the unfortunate event of an accident and you or your child are injured, please call us.