Rhode Island and Massachusetts Personal Injury Law: Spinal Cord Injuries
November 21st, 2018
With your spinal cord being part of the central nervous system, injuries to this part of your body should be taken seriously. These types of personal injuries can happen from a lot of things, including car accidents and slip and fall accidents.
Different Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
Before knowing the different types of injuries, it is important to know the three regions that your spinal cord is divided into.
- Lumbar: the lower back (L1-L5)
- Thoracic: the middle and largest portion of your spine (T1-T12)
- Cervical: connects to the base of the skull, run the length of the neck (C1-C7)
The most common types of injuries that occur to the spinal cord that are associated with motor vehicle accidents can vary from minimal to severe damage. Some examples of these types of injuries are:
- Whiplash: This occurs when your head moves forward and snaps back in a whip-like motion, causing neck pain. Whiplash also causes stiffness, limited range of motion, and other symptoms.
- Vertebrae sprains and fractures: A sprain occurs when the ligaments in your back become torn, frayed, or otherwise injured. Symptoms include stiffness and pain, headaches, and even dizziness. A fracture occurs when the bones in your spine break and collapse.
- Disc Injuries: These occur in addition or separately from fractured vertebrae. If a disc ruptures, the jelly-like fluid inside the disc can escape, resulting in a herniated disc.
- Paralysis: Damaged nerve fibers in the spinal cord interrupt the communication between the brain and muscles, which may result in paralysis. This can be total or partial, and may affect one or both sides of the body.
Getting Compensation for your Spinal Cord Injury
If you or a loved one suffered an accident-related spinal cord injury, you may have a claim for financial compensation. The experienced attorneys at Bottaro Law have recovered millions for our clients across Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and we’re ready to put our experience to work for you.
It’s Good To Know Mike Bottaro – 24/7 Personal Injury Help
At the Bottaro Law Firm, we handle all types of personal injury claims every day. Honesty. Integrity. Results. Our experienced legal team is here to fight for your rights. Contact us in any method you prefer 24/7 for a fast, free, and confidential consultation about your case. Text or call: 401-777-7777 or fill out our free and confidential online form.