Sideswipe Accident Lawyer in Rhode Island
If you were recently injured in a sideswipe accident in Rhode Island, you know just how terrifying and painful it can be to have another vehicle collide with you unexpectedly. Your mind might be spinning with questions and concerns about how to move forward and how you will recover.
At Bottaro Law, Mike and his legal team want you to know that you don’t have to navigate the aftermath of a car accident alone. Our experienced Rhode Island injury attorneys are here to help you fight for the compensation and justice you deserve. While we understand that no amount of money could ever erase the trauma and pain you have experienced, we know it can alleviate some of the financial burdens the accident has left you with.
Mike and his team can help you take on the legal system and advocate for your interests so you can focus on healing and getting back to your life. Don’t let the insurance companies pressure you into accepting less than you deserve.
Contact us today for a free initial claim evaluation to discuss your legal options. With our exclusive “No Fee Guarantee,” you won’t owe us anything unless we secure money for you.
Why You Need Bottaro Law After a Sideswipe Accident
Rhode Island accident victims turn to Bottaro Law for help with their legal claims for very good reasons. Choose us for your sideswipe car accident case because:
- We have decades of combined experience dedicated exclusively to representing injured accident victims, never large corporations. Doing what’s right for our clients is our guiding principle.
- We offer a “No Fee Guarantee,” meaning you owe nothing unless (until) we win compensation for you. We also provide free initial consultations to set your mind at ease before you choose to hire us.
- We provide unsurpassed client service. We take the time to get to know you and understand your situation so we can provide the best possible representation. Also, our staff is available 24/7 to address your concerns as they arise.
Understanding Sideswipe Car Accidents
Sideswipe car accidents happen when the side of one vehicle hits or scrapes against the side of another vehicle. The impact of a sideswipe accident can cause drivers to lose control and hit another car or fixed object.
These accidents commonly occur on multi-lane roads and highways when drivers unintentionally drift out of their lanes or attempt to move into lanes already occupied by other vehicles. Sideswipe accidents can also involve vehicles passing in opposite directions, such as when a driver drifts over a center line or median or inadvertently ends up on the wrong side of the road.
Rhode Island Sideswipe Accident Statistics
According to the Insurance Information Institute, sideswipe accidents contributed to 950 U.S. traffic fatalities in one recent year. Closer to home, the Rhode Island Department of Transportation reports that 56 percent of statewide traffic fatalities in a recent five-year span were from crashes involving lane departures, many of which were sideswipe accidents. Lane departure accidents account for between 100 and 150 severe injuries every year.
Who Is at Fault for a Sideswipe Accident?
In most cases, a driver who unlawfully moves out of their lane bears liability for a sideswipe accident. That’s because drivers must ensure they can complete a lane change or turn safely before attempting the maneuver. But other parties, such as another road user or a car parts manufacturer, could be liable in certain circumstances.
Investigators commonly use the following types of evidence to determine fault after a sideswipe collision:
- Police accident reports
- Traffic citation records
- Eyewitness testimony
- Accident scene photos
- Surveillance camera or dashcam videos
- Event data recorder (black box) logs
- Driver cell phone records
- Post-accident inspection and repair records
- Accident reconstruction reports
Causes of Sideswipe Collisions in Rhode Island
Some of the most frequent causes of sideswipe collisions in Rhode Island include:
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Driving under the influence
- Changing lanes without signaling
- Failing to monitor blind spots
- Turning into or from the wrong lane
- Making unsafe or illegal turns, merges, or lane changes
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Reckless driving, such as swerving in and out of traffic
Common Sideswipe Collision Injuries
Sideswipe collisions can cause a range of serious injuries, including:
- Lacerations and abrasion
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Herniated spinal discs
- Internal injuries
- Head and facial injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Traumatic amputation
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
Compensation Available After a Sideswipe Accident in Rhode Island
With a successful sideswipe accident claim, you could demand compensation for losses such as:
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses to treat your accident injuries
- Costs of continuing care and support for long-term or permanent impairments
- Ongoing and future income losses from temporary or permanent disabilities
- Pain, suffering, and loss of enjoyment or quality of life
- Car repair or replacement costs
What Should You Do After a Sideswipe Accident?
Steps you can take to protect your legal options after a sideswipe accident include:
- Seeking prompt medical attention to have a doctor diagnose your crash injuries
- Reporting the accident to law enforcement and your auto insurance provider
- Taking photos and videos of the accident scene, damage to your vehicle, and visible injuries
- Adhering to the treatment instructions and medical restrictions your doctor recommends
- Requesting copies of the police accident report and your medical records
- Keeping any bills, invoices, and receipts of expenses you incur due to the accident
- Contacting our Rhode Island sideswipe car accident lawyers for help as soon as possible