Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in East Providence, RI
Were you injured in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver in East Providence? When someone else is responsible for a motorcycle accident and your injuries, you have the right to pursue compensation for the losses you incur as a result. An East Providence motorcycle accident attorney can help you demand accountability and justice from the at-fault parties.
At Bottaro Injury Lawyers, our award-winning law firm protects the rights and interests of accident victims in East Providence and throughout Rhode Island. We exclusively represent people injured in accidents, which has enabled our attorneys to develop a deep and incisive knowledge of personal injury law. We put the “personal” in personal injury law by always striving to do the right thing for you, our client.
When you turn to us for help after an East Providence motorcycle wreck, our legal team quickly goes to work investigating the accident and building a compelling case for your financial recovery. With our firm’s No Fee Guarantee, you will never need to worry about paying money upfront for our assistance. You pay only when we win compensation for you in a settlement or trial.
When you have been hurt in a motorcycle crash, don’t delay seeking financial compensation for your losses. Reach out anytime, 24/7, to Bottaro Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation to learn how an East Providence motorcycle accident attorney from our firm can help.
Do You Have a Motorcycle Accident Claim?
If someone else’s negligent behavior caused a motorcycle accident, then any victims injured in the crash can hold the at-fault party liable for the losses they suffer. The crash victim will need to gather evidence to prove that the other driver or another party caused the crash. The victim will also need to show that they suffered specific losses due to their injuries.
For example, if a driver runs into a motorcyclist while looking at their cell phone instead of the road, that driver would likely be negligent for failing to drive with reasonable care. The victim would need to gather evidence to show the driver was distracted, such as eyewitness statements and cell phone records. They would also need to document the losses they sustain, such as medical bills and pain and suffering.
Why Are Motorcycle Accidents More Complicated?
Motorcyclists usually face more challenges when pursuing a claim for compensation than victims of other motor vehicle accidents. Motorcycle accident cases tend to be more complicated because of:
- More serious injuries – In a motorcycle collision, riders often suffer serious or life-threatening injuries due to the lack of personal protection beyond a helmet and riding leathers. When a rider sustains catastrophic personal injuries, it can complicate their motorcycle accident claim because more serious injuries typically mean more money is on the line for insurance companies. In addition, if the rider is still treating their injuries when negotiating for a settlement, they’ll need to carefully document and demand compensation for any anticipated future expenses.
- Issues with insurance coverage – When a motorcycle rider suffers significant financial and personal losses, the at-fault drivers may not have sufficient liability insurance to compensate the rider fully. That may mean that a rider will have to look to other possible sources of compensation, such as their own motorcycle insurance policy or health insurance coverage.
- Efforts to pin the blame on the motorcycle operator – At-fault drivers and insurers often try to limit their liability for motorcycle accident cases by relying on unjust stereotypes about motorcyclists to shift blame for the accident onto them. When this happens, the injured rider may need to secure additional evidence to conclusively show that the other driver or party was actually at fault for the crash.
Benefits of Hiring an East Providence Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
When you are focused on treating and rehabilitating your injuries, let an East Providence motorcycle accident lawyer from Bottaro Injury Lawyers handle all the details of your motorcycle accident case. With our firm on your side, you can expect our legal team to:
- Thoroughly investigate the accident to recover all available evidence that can be used to build your case.
- Work with accident reconstruction experts and other expert witnesses when necessary to prepare a persuasive case on your behalf.
- Go over your legal rights and options with you and discuss what you can expect at each stage of your case.
- File claims with the insurance companies and at-fault parties to initiate the process of negotiating for a fair and full settlement of your expenses and losses.
- Prepare your case to be filed in court as a lawsuit and litigate on your behalf all the way through trial, if necessary, to pursue the most favorable result for you.
How Is Fault Determined After a Motorcycle Accident in East Providence?
Because at-fault drivers and insurance companies often try to shift the blame for a motorcycle wreck on the motorcycle operator, it often becomes necessary to use various kinds of evidence to prove the other driver’s fault. Fault for a motorcycle crash can be determined by gathering and reviewing evidence such as:
- Accident scene photos
- Video recordings from surveillance cameras, traffic cameras, or dash or helmet cams
- Eyewitness statements
- Police accident reports
- Vehicle inspection and repair reports
- Testimony from expert witnesses
- Medical records from the treatment of your accident injuries
In East Providence, determining fault is important under the state’s comparative fault rules. Rhode Island law allows an injured accident victim to pursue a claim for compensation against the parties at fault for the injuries, even if the injured victim was partially to blame. However, the compensation an injured motorcyclist may recover will be reduced in proportion to their share of fault for the accident.
What Compensation Can Be Recovered After a Motorcycle Crash in East Providence?
Compensation in a motorcycle accident case may cover:
- Costs of medical treatment and rehabilitation
- Loss of wages or income from missed time from work
- Loss of earning capacity due to long-term or permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced enjoyment or quality of life because of disfigurement, scarring, or physical or cognitive disabilities caused by injuries
- Repair costs for your motorcycle or the cash value of your bike if it was totaled
Statute of Limitations on Motorcycle Accident Lawsuits
Under Rhode Island’s statute of limitations on motorcycle accident lawsuits, you generally only have three years from the date of a motorcycle crash to file suit against the parties responsible for the accident and your injuries.
If you file your claim after the statute of limitations expires on your motorcycle accident claim, the trial court will almost certainly dismiss your suit as untimely. If that occurs, you will lose the right to recover compensation from those liable for your losses.
Tips for Protecting Your Rights After a Motorcycle Wreck
Following a motorcycle crash in East Providence, you should take steps to protect your rights and options for pursuing a claim, including:
- Being examined by a doctor as soon as possible after the accident to diagnose any injuries you may have sustained.
- Documenting the accident scene by taking (or having someone take) photos and videos of details such as vehicle damage, skid marks or debris on the road, traffic controls, and weather and lighting conditions.
- Keeping records of your medical expenses, lost income, and any other losses related to the accident and your injuries
- Refraining from discussing your accident or posting any images or videos of yourself on social media while your case is pending
- Recording your recovery in a journal to document the pain or reduced quality of life you experience from your injuries and medical treatments
- Talking to a motorcycle accident lawyer in East Providence as soon as possible to discuss your best options for pursuing a claim for financial recovery.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Injuries commonly suffered by riders in motorcycle crashes include:
- Lacerations, abrasions, road rash, and avulsions
- Dislocated joints
- Ligament, muscle, and tendon injuries
- Back and neck injuries, including whiplash
- Nerve injuries
- Herniated discs
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Internal organ injuries or perforations
- Internal bleeding
- Head and facial injuries, including mouth and eye injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Crush injuries
- Traumatic amputations
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in East Providence
Examples of the most frequent causes of motorcycle accidents in East Providence include:
- Passing a motorcycle without fully moving over to the next lane
- Reckless driving
- Changing lanes or turning without signaling or checking mirrors
- Failing to stop at red lights or stop signs
- Disregarding traffic signals and controls
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Texting while driving and other distracted driving behaviors
- Poor road conditions, including debris or potholes in the roadway
- Adverse weather conditions
- Low lighting or night driving
Talk to an East Providence Motorcycle Accident Attorney Now
If you have been injured by a motorcycle collision that was not your fault, contact Bottaro Injury Lawyers for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. We’re here to help.