Truck Accident Lawyer in East Providence, RI
Commercial trucks account for the largest vehicles on the roads and highways in and around East Providence. Innocent people are frequently severely injured or even killed when involved in a collision.
If you’ve been hurt in a truck crash caused by someone else, don’t despair. An East Providence truck accident attorney can help you seek fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
At Bottaro Injury Lawyers, we believe that truck drivers and trucking companies should be held accountable when they hurt innocent people. That’s why we work tirelessly on behalf of people who have been injured in truck wrecks in East Providence and throughout Rhode Island.
When you turn to our award-winning firm, you can rest assured that you have put your case in the hands of professionals who have secured millions of dollars in compensation for people in similar situations. You can also trust in our firm’s No Fee Guarantee, which means you won’t have to pay us a thing until we win compensation for you.
If you were injured in an accident with an 18-wheeler or other heavy truck in East Providence, you should “Get to Know Mike Bottaro.” Contact Bottaro Injury Lawyers today for a free case evaluation and discuss your legal rights and options with an East Providence truck accident lawyer.
Do You Have a Truck Accident Claim?
You may have a claim to recover compensation following a truck accident if the crash was due to careless or reckless actions by a truck driver or trucking company, or if the crash was caused by a semi-truck suffering mechanical failure due to a part defect or inadequate or improper maintenance.
Why Truck Accident Cases Are More Complicated
Pursuing a truck accident claim is often more complicated than doing so for other kinds of motor vehicle accidents because:
- Truck accidents tend to cause more severe injuries. The size and weight of commercial trucks mean that these vehicles impart significant force in a collision. As a result, victims of truck accidents often suffer catastrophic injuries. That means that injured victims will have considerable losses for which they can demand compensation. In addition, if an injured victim is still receiving medical treatment when they begin seeking compensation, they will need to ensure that any settlement or award also includes expected future expenses.
- Truck accidents can involve more victims. Truck crashes can involve several vehicles, especially when an accident occurs in heavy traffic. More vehicles mean more victims, which means more people can pursue compensation for their losses. That can complicate a truck accident case when the liable parties don’t have sufficient insurance coverage or other financial assets to fully compensate each victim.
- Truck accident investigations involve a lot of evidence. The causes of a truck accident can sometimes go beyond a truck driver’s simple negligence. To determine the actual cause of a crash, an attorney will need to review a wide range of evidence – a much wider range than in most other collisions.
- Trucking companies can have complex corporate and insurance structures. Trucking companies may have complex corporate structures that make it difficult to determine the correct parties to sue. And many companies also use layered insurance policies that can make it difficult to determine how much coverage may be available to compensate you.
Benefits of Hiring an East Providence Truck Accident Lawyer
You shouldn’t have to take on the big trucking corporations and their insurers on your own. When you turn to an East Providence truck accident lawyer from Bottaro Injury Lawyers, you’ll have a skilled legal advocate who can help you by:
- Investigating the crash to recover evidence showing who bears responsibility for the accident and your injuries.
- Working with accident reconstruction and trucking industry experts as needed to help persuasively argue technical issues in your case.
- Documenting your injuries and losses fully to ensure we pursue a full financial recovery.
- Explaining your legal rights and options so that you know what to expect in your case.
- Presenting your demands for compensation to the trucking companies and their insurers.
- Aggressively negotiating for a settlement that pays you fair and full compensation.
- Taking your case to court and trial if litigation becomes necessary to pursue your legal rights and interests fully.
What Compensation Can Be Recovered?
If you were hurt in a truck crash that was someone else’s fault, you might be entitled to recover money for your losses. Truck accident compensation can provide you money for:
- Costs of medical treatment, including emergency room care, hospitalization, surgeries, prescriptions, doctor’s appointments, and physical/occupational therapy
- Costs of long-term care for permanent disabilities
- Lost wages or income if you miss time from work because of the accident
- Loss of future earning capacity due to disabilities that prevent you from going back to work
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional suffering
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement from injuries
- Repair costs for your vehicle that was involved in the crash or the value of the car if it was totaled
How Is Fault Determined in a Truck Accident Case?
To determine fault in a truck accident case, an attorney will review many pieces of evidence, such as:
- The truck driver’s logs, which show how long the driver has been on duty and driving
- Truck inspection and maintenance records
- The truck driver’s drug and alcohol test results
- The truck driver’s employment and driving records
- Logs from the truck’s electronic data recorder or “black box”
- The load manifest, which documents what cargo the truck was carrying
- Accident scene photos
- Surveillance, traffic camera, or dashcam videos
- Police accident reports
- Eyewitness testimony
- Post-accident vehicle inspections
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Truck Accident?
In most motor vehicle accident cases, fault is assigned to one or more of the drivers involved. Truck accident cases, however, can involve many more liable parties, including:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- The truck’s owner, if not the truck driver or trucking company
- The freight broker
- The truck’s mechanic
- The truck’s manufacturer or the manufacturer of a defective part used on the truck
Statute of Limitations on Truck Accident Lawsuits in Rhode Island
In Rhode Island, the statute of limitations typically gives you only three years from the date of a crash to file a truck accident lawsuit. If you file suit after the three-year period has ended, the trial court will likely permanently dismiss your lawsuit, and you will lose the opportunity to recover compensation.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
The sheer size of big rigs and other commercial trucks means that they can cause severe injuries in the event of a collision. Some examples of common truck crash injuries include:
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Broken bones
- Ligament sprains
- Muscle and tendon strains
- Internal organ injuries and internal bleeding
- Herniated spinal discs
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Facial injuries, including eye or ear damage
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Crush injuries and traumatic amputation
How to Protect Your Rights after a Truck Accident in East Providence
When you have been involved in a truck accident in East Providence, you can take several steps to protect your rights to financial recovery and justice. These steps include:
- Seeing a doctor or other medical provider as soon as possible for a physical exam to identify injuries that you suffered in the accident.
- Following all treatment recommendations from your providers.
- Taking photos and videos of the crash scene, including vehicle damage, traffic signals and controls, visual obstructions, any marks on the road, and weather, lighting, road, and traffic conditions.
- Keeping copies of bills, invoices, and receipts for expenses you incurred because of the accident, as well as records of your income if you end up missing time from work.
- Avoiding posting about the accident or your injuries on social media, as insurers often monitor accident victims’ social media accounts for evidence they can use against the injured party.
- Speaking to a truck accident lawyer in East Providence to discuss pursuing your rights to compensation through a truck accident lawsuit or other claim.
Talk to an Experienced East Providence Truck Accident Lawyer Now
Don’t wait another day to demand the justice and financial compensation you deserve after being injured in a truck accident that wasn’t your fault. Contact Bottaro Injury Lawyers today for a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more about how an experienced East Providence truck accident lawyer can help you pursue your truck accident claim.