Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Providence, RI
Motorcycles are a great way to get around Providence, but some of the same things that bikers love about them can lead to devastating injuries in a crash. Motorcyclists are exposed to the elements and lack many of the safety features on passenger vehicles, which means they bear the brunt of a collision.
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle wreck and someone else was at fault, a Providence motorcycle accident attorney from Bottaro Injury Lawyers can help you pursue the money and the justice you deserve.
At our firm, we strive to provide our clients with the honesty, integrity, and hard work they need during a difficult time in their lives. We are dedicated to creating safer communities throughout Rhode Island by holding negligent drivers and other liable parties accountable for the catastrophic injuries they cause and discouraging such behavior in the future.
Not only have we won millions of dollars for our clients, but our No Fee Guarantee means they don’t have to pay anything upfront to secure our services. When you work with us, you will pay only after we’ve secured a settlement or verdict on your behalf.
If you have been severely injured in a motorcycle wreck, it’s time to “Get to Know Mike Bottaro.” Reach out to Bottaro Injury Lawyers today for a free initial case review and learn how our Providence motorcycle accident attorneys can help you fight for the compensation you’re owed.
Do You Have a Motorcycle Accident Claim?
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident that was caused by another party’s careless behavior or otherwise negligent actions, you might have a motorcycle accident claim, provided that the crash caused you to suffer losses for which you can be financially compensated. Typical losses include medical bills, damaged property, lost income, and pain and suffering.
Why Are Motorcycle Accidents More Complicated in Providence?
Motorcycle riders who have been injured in accidents often find it difficult to pursue the compensation they’re owed due to the relative complexity of their claims. Motorcycle accident claims can be more complicated than other claims because:
- Motorcycle wrecks tend to result in more severe injuries for riders. Motorcyclists often suffer catastrophic, life-altering injuries when they’re involved in accidents. These severe injuries can complicate motorcycle accident claims, as insurance companies usually push back harder against the larger compensation claims serious injuries necessitate. Claims may also be more complicated if a victim is still receiving treatment for their injuries, as any compensation recovery should also include expected future needs and expenses.
- At-fault drivers may not have sufficient liability insurance coverage to fully compensate injured riders. Some drivers choose to cut costs by obtaining only the minimum bodily injury liability insurance required by law. However, when these drivers hit motorcyclists, their insurance coverage sometimes fails to cover all the losses the motorcyclist suffered. That can complicate a victim’s motorcycle accident case, as they may need to turn to alternative sources of compensation, such as underinsured motorist coverage.
- Insurance companies and defense lawyers sometimes try to blame a motorcycle collision on the rider. To avoid paying the total compensation that an injured motorcyclist deserves following a crash, insurance companies may try to rely on stereotypes or biases about motorcyclists to argue that the rider bears some of or all the fault for the collision. That can require an injured rider to secure even more evidence to show that their injuries were the other person’s fault.
Benefits of Hiring a Providence Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you are facing a long and challenging road to recovery from the injuries you suffered in a motorcycle crash, you may benefit from the help of an experienced Providence motorcycle accident lawyer. Bottaro Injury Lawyers are ready to:
- Investigate the motorcycle wreck to recover evidence that shows who caused the accident and who else can be held liable for the injuries you suffered.
- Document your injuries and losses to ensure we pursue full compensation in your case.
- Explain your rights and options and advise you at each step of your motorcycle accident claim.
- Identify applicable insurance policies and other available sources of compensation.
- File your claims with the at-fault party and liable insurers to pursue maximum financial recovery.
- File a motorcycle accident lawsuit if you choose to pursue litigation or if going to court is the best chance for getting you the recovery you deserve.
How Is Fault Determined After a Motorcycle Accident in Providence?
A motorcycle accident lawyer can collect and review various evidence to determine who is at fault for the crash. This evidence may include:
- Police accident reports
- Records of traffic tickets or criminal summonses issued for the accident
- Photos or video from the accident scene
- Eyewitness statements
- Surveillance, traffic camera, dashcam, and helmet cam footage
- Post-accident inspections of the vehicles involved in the crash
- Accident reconstruction reports provided by expert witnesses
- Cell phone records of the drivers involved in the accident, if texting and driving is suspected
Determining fault is critically important for securing the compensation you’re owed. In Rhode Island, motorcycle accident cases are evaluated under the pure comparative fault system. This system allows an injured motorcycle rider to pursue a claim for compensation even if they bear some degree of fault for the accident that resulted in their injuries.
However, comparative fault rules also state that an injured rider’s compensation in a legal claim should be reduced in proportion to their share of fault. For example, if your losses total $100,000 and you are found to be 40 percent at fault for the accident, a successful claim would result in $60,000 in damages.
What Compensation Can Be Recovered After a Providence Motorcycle Crash?
You may be entitled to pursue financial recovery for losses you suffered in a motorcycle crash due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, including:
- Medical expenses, including bills for emergency room or hospital care, surgeries or other medical procedures, doctor’s appointments, physical therapy, prescriptions, or purchases of medical and mobility devices
- Expenses for long-term care, such as home health services, if necessitated by permanent disabilities caused by your injuries
- Loss of income or future earning capacity due to your injuries or any long-term disabilities
- Physical pain and emotional distress from the accident, your injuries, and the medical treatment you undergo
- Reduced quality of life or life expectancy as a result of your injuries
- Costs to repair or replace your damaged or destroyed motorcycle
Statute of Limitations on Motorcycle Accident Lawsuits
Under Rhode Island law, you have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit after being injured in a motorcycle crash in Providence. The statute of limitations typically requires you to file suit against the liable parties within three years of the crash. Filing suit after the limitations period has expired risks having your case dismissed by the court as untimely and subsequently losing your rights to pursue compensation.
Tips for Protecting Your Rights after a Motorcycle Wreck in Providence
After being hurt in a motorcycle wreck, you should try to follow these tips to help protect your legal rights and options for pursuing a claim for compensation:
- Get examined by a medical professional as soon as possible to have any injuries diagnosed and treated.
- Use your cell phone to take photos or videos of the crash scene, including vehicle damage, skid marks on the road, or visible injuries you sustained.
- Follow the treatment instructions your doctor or other medical provider gives you.
- Keep copies of bills or other records of expenses you incur due to the motorcycle accident, as well as copies of your income records if you miss work due to injuries.
- Avoid discussing the motorcycle wreck or your motorcycle accident claim on social media, as the insurance companies will try to use them to undermine your case and reduce the amount they have to pay you.
- Contact Bottaro Injury Lawyers as quickly as possible. The sooner you consult with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Providence, the sooner they can start fighting on your behalf.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle riders have little protection beyond a helmet, riding leathers, and pads. As a result, motorcycle accidents can lead to serious injuries, including:
- Lacerations, abrasions, road rash, and avulsions (injuries where the skin is torn away from underlying soft tissue and bone)
- Ligament sprains and tendon or muscle strains
- Bone fractures
- Spinal injuries, including herniated discs or spinal cord damage
- Nerve damage
- Facial injuries
- Crush injuries
- Traumatic amputation
- Internal organ injuries and internal bleeding
- Traumatic brain injuries
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Providence
Common causes of motorcycle crashes in Providence include:
- Reckless driving
- Passing a motorcycle in the same traffic lane
- Drunk driving
- Texting-while-driving or other distracted driving
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Inexperienced drivers
- Disregarding traffic signs or signals
- Unsafe lane changes
- Failing to signal
- Failing to check mirrors
- Night driving
- Poor weather
- Poor road conditions, including broken pavement, potholes, or debris in the roadway
Talk to a Providence Motorcycle Accident Attorney Now
If you have been injured in a motorcycle crash and someone else is to blame, then you should “Get to Know Mike Bottaro.” Contact Bottaro Injury Lawyers today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation with a motorcycle accident lawyer in Providence.