RI & MA Motorcycle Defect Accident Attorneys
If you ride a motorcycle, you know how crucial it is to have a well-maintained bike. But, even those bike owners that use extreme caution can experience malfunctions or encounter defects. When the manufacturer creates defective components for a motorcycle, it can lead to deadly results. In 2012, there were over 50 motorcycle recalls alone involving over nine different manufacturers.
From failing brake pads to fuel tank issues, there are numerous defects that can lead to a crash. It is important that motorcycle owners register their bikes with the manufacturer so that they can be properly notified of any pending recalls to avoid a defect-caused accident in the future.
What Are The Most Common Types of Motorcycle Defects?
Some common motorcycle defects that can lead to an accident include:
- Brakes – From malfunctioning brake pads to an entire brake system failure, these types of defects often result in deadly crashes. This can lead to sudden, unexpected loss in braking efficiency – preventing the rider from stopping their bike.
- Bike Design – Sometimes the defect isn’t a particular part, but the entire design of the bike itself. Motorcycles are specifically designed to handle speeds and maneuver quickly, but if they are not designed properly, the bike may not handle as it should.
- Fuel Systems – Whether it is a leaking fuel tank that can lead to a fire or other fuel system failures, these pose significant hazards to riders.
- Faulty Tires – A motorcycle only has two tires to hold its traction and unlike a car, a blowout on a motorcycle could lead to a catastrophic accident. Faulty tires, including tread that splits or a tire that blows out, are common causes of accidents. In these cases, the manufacturer of the tire should be liable for any injuries caused by their faulty tires.
- Engine Defects – Any type of engine failure, including an engine stall, could lead to an accident.
- Handlebars – Defective handlebars could result in the rider being unable to control their motorcycle or even steer it to safety.
- Manufacturing Defects – These can involve multiple components of the motorcycle manufactured improperly. Defects can be present on more than one bike or a single bike sold.
The injuries from defective motorcycle parts and their related accidents are severe and can include:
- Broken bones or fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
Injured Because of a Defective Motorcycle Part? Contact the Bottaro Law Firm, LLC Now
Manufacturers are required to sell safe motorcycle components. When a manufacturer releases a defective product or their distributors knowingly sell defective parts, product liability laws hold them liable for injuries or deaths caused by the defects. If you or a loved one was injured in a motorcycle accident because of defective parts, contact the Bottaro Law Firm, LLC today for a free consultation.