The brain is one of the most important things that we must protect – without our brain, we would be nothing. However, we can’t plan for accidents to happen. Whether a slip-and-fall incident occurs or you get into a car accident, any type of personal injury relating to the brain is one that needs to be taken care of immediately.
What is a Traumatic Brian Injury (“TBI”)?
Traumatic brain injuries, or TBI, are personal injuries caused by any physical impact to the head that disrupts the brain’s normal function. TBIs can be caused by the following:
- Falls: TBIs often results from slips, trips, and falls from heights due to inadequate maintenance or safety precautions.
- Blunt force trauma: This may be caused by falling objects, flying debris or materials on construction sites, or collisions during sports and recreational activities.
- Vehicle collisions: Auto accident victims will usually experience extreme force upon impact, and could be hit or impaled by flying objects or broken car parts.
What are the Symptoms?
According to Mayo Clinic, the signs and symptoms of a mild traumatic brain injury may include:
- Physical symptoms: Loss of consciousness for a few seconds to minutes, a state of being dazed, confused, or disoriented, headache, nausea or vomiting, fatigue or drowsiness, problems with speech, difficulty sleeping or sleeping more than usual, and dizziness or loss of balance.
- Sensory symptoms: Sensory problems – such as blurred vision, ringing in the ears, a bad taste in the mouth, or changes in the ability to smell, and sensitivity to light or sound.
- Cognitive or mental symptoms: memory or concentration problems, mood changes or mood swings, and feeling depressed or anxious.
Symptoms for moderate or severe traumatic brain injuries include:
- Physical symptoms: Loss of consciousness from several minutes to hours, convulsions or seizures, dilation of one or both pupils, clear fluids draining from the nose or ears, and weakness or numbness in fingers and toes.
- Cognitive or mental symptoms: Profound confusion, slurred speech, and coma and other disorders of consciousness.
It’s Good To Know Mike Bottaro – 24/7 Personal Injury Help
At the Bottaro Law Firm, LLC, we handle TBI personal injury throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Honesty. Integrity. Results. Our experienced legal team is here to fight for your rights. Contact us in any method you prefer 24/7 for a fast, free, and confidential consultation about your case. Text or call: 401-777-7777 or fill out our free and confidential online form.